Last updated: 15 February 2021
Here is an update on what Rotorua Community Hospice looks like at Level 2 in response to COVID-19.
As an essential service, we continue to support over 120 patients with a life-limiting illness and their whānau every month. Our priority is to do this as safely as possible. We are following the Ministry of Health guidelines and working closely with the Lakes District Health Board.
Here are some of the key changes to our service at Level 2:
We continue to provide the best possible support and care to our patients and their whānau. We promise we will keep those of you in our care informed about what we’re doing.
• We will be increasing the use of personal protective equipment (PPE) to keep you and our staff safe.
• We may phone patients or family members prior to visiting. We’ll be asking questions about if they or anyone near them might have been exposed to COVID-19. We’ll also ask about your current health and any symptoms you may have.
• Our loan equipment to improve patient’s quality of life has always been carefully cleaned and sanitised. We are continuing to do this and provide equipment to patients and their whānau.
Patient support services
• The Monday prayer group gathering has been postponed until further notice.
• Our Wednesday Day Stay programme has been postponed until further notice.
• Companions in Homes and Life Biographies are continuing at Level 2. Patients and volunteers should keep in touch and not visit if either are displaying any symptoms. Talk to your nurse if you’re unsure.
Hospice Office – 1469 Hinemoa Street
Whilst at alert Level 2, we will be reducing the number of people visiting our Hospice office. This adds another level of safety to our nurses and health care assistants and therefore, also our patients.
We ask you to please phone first before visiting so we can let you know of any additional safety measures that may be in place. Please call us on 07 343 6591, ext 1. If you are a patient or whānau member, please speak with a nurse first.
Our Hospice shop at 1134 Eruera Street remains open at Level 2. Please maintain a two metre physical distance from other shoppers and our volunteers whilst in store. We have the Covid tracking poster and recommend you trace your whereabouts.
Our shop hours are:
• Monday to Friday: 9:30 – 4:00
• Saturday: 9:30 – 2:00
We are accepting donations of good quality items and our collection service is still available. If you have large items that you would like collected, please phone us on 07 349 4231 to arrange a time.
Thank you so much for supporting Hospice Shop Rotorua. Every item donated and purchased supports patients living with a life-limiting illness in the Rotorua community.
Our retail volunteers are still doing an amazing job in the Hospice Shop. We understand for some of our volunteers, you will not feel comfortable volunteering and we support and respect your decision. Please get in touch with your Manager to let them know.
Day Stay and Prayer Group have been postponed until further notice. We‘ll update you when that changes.
Thank you for your ongoing support of Rotorua Community Hospice in what has been a challenging time for everyone.
If you would like to support us, here are a couple of ways:
• Order your copy of Volcanic Kitchens, a further collection of stories, recipes and photographs. Click here to order
• Support one of our Team Hospice runners in the Rotorua Marathon. We’ve got over 20 runners raising $20,000 for Hospice. Check out who is running here
• Donate to our Covid-19 Emergency fund
The safety of our staff is critical if we are to continue providing essential Hospice care. Please follow the Government’s guidelines. You will be directly helping some of the most vulnerable people in our community.
Me mahi tahi tatou mo te oranga o te katoa
We should work together for the wellbeing of everyone
- Ministry of Health for the latest updates
- Funerals and Tangihanga – information and guidelines
- Mental Health Foundation – looking after yourself and others during COVID-19
- Rotorua Community Hospice blogs, Facebook and Instagram for updates
- Hospice New Zealand guide for carers – if you’re caring for a loved one with a life-limiting illness, this has some great tips and resources to help you navigate the journey